Things to Know When Leasing Privately in TAS

Here’s what you need to do as a landlord and how to protect yourself if you’re leasing property yourself in TAS.

Before Approving a Tenant

  • Ensure you have get a check done on the tenant (you can arrange this through us).
  • Phone/ check all the tenant’s references (our tenancy application asks them to supply current employer, current landlord, and personal references).
  • Ensure you have physically sighted proof of identification, proof of income, proof of address, and proof of rental history (e.g. lease agreement, written reference, or tenant ledger)

Once you’re ready to approve a Tenant

  • Meet and sign a Residential tenancy agreement form. You can request a copy of the form from us via email.
  • Complete a property condition report within 7 days of the start of the tenancy. Keep one copy for yourself and supply two copies to the tenant. Where possible, it’s helpful to complete the report together to minimise disagreements. You can request this form from us via email.
  • Request a bond of 4 weeks rent. When you receive it, give the tenant a receipt, and have them sign a Bond Lodgement Form. Download this form at
  • All bonds must be paid to the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA). You must deposit the bond with the RDA within 3 days of collecting it. The Bond Lodgement form and bond can be lodged at any Service Tasmania shop, or via post.

During the Tenancy

  • Conduct routine property inspections (not more than once every 3 months).
  • Make sure you keep documentation of any occurrences (e.g. copies of any letters/receipts you send to tenant, photos of any damage etc.), just in case there’s ever a dispute,


We strongly recommend completing National Tenancy Database/TICA blacklist checks before approving any tenant (you can arrange this through PropertyNow). 

As well as checking tenancy blacklists, you should consider checking the ACCR criminal court attendance database here. You can also order full police background checks through PropertyNow, if you wish.

Most importantly, we recommend taking out Landlords Insurance – this covers you for theft, malicious damage, or loss of rent if the tenant stops paying.  There are many different providers so make sure to shop around. Here’s two to get you started:

We also strongly recommend reading the Renting Guide and the Minimum Standards for Premises: A Guide for Tenants and Property Owners offered by the Tasmanian Government.

We hope this information helps! Got more questions? Don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email.