How do I sell my home online? Our step-by-step guide.
Have you ever wondered, “Can I sell my home myself and pocket all the extra expenses (like marketing and commissions) I’d pay an agent to do it for me?
The answer is, resoundingly, “Yes!” It might take a little extra time and effort, but you could save big with the right research, advice, and guidance.
Here’s our quick guide to what you need to know to sell your own home online successfully.
But I don’t want a quick guide- I want to know everything about how to sell my home myself! We’ve got your back! Check out our ultimate home selling guide.
1. How do I set my selling price?
How do you figure out what your house is worth in the current market? Pricing is key. Too high means you may never sell. Too low and you might as well give your profit away.
Doing your research is vital—and with a lot of info online, it’s easier than ever. We recommend visiting the SOLD section of your favourite real estate platform to see what properties like yours have sold for in your area.
(Hot tip: This is exactly what your local real estate agent would do. Congrats! In one easy web search, you’ve just saved a chunk of what it would have cost if you’d hired them).
For an accurate evaluation, you can hire an independent Australian Property Institute Certified Practising Valuer. Or take advantage of our free property value reports, which include sales data, market statistics, and an estimate of your home’s current value.
2. When should I sell my home?
Contrary to popular opinion, every season is a good time to sell your home—it all depends on what time is best for you.
Over the past few years, demand for properties in Australia has increased substantially, and the pandemic has only increased interest in buying property online directly from homeowners.
If your home is in a large city and a favourable suburb, you could sell your home in just one or two days at any time of the year. often sell their homes without using real estate agents in just one or two days. Direct dealing with homeowners has become increasingly popular.
That said, it’s always good to avoid holiday periods (unless your home is in a tourist destination). For a breakdown on your selling prospects throughout the year, check out our ultimate guide.
3. How do I make my home more attractive to buyers?
First impressions matter, especially in real estate. But you don’t have to spend a fortune on renovations. You can do simple things to update your home. Here are our top tips to get you started:
- Boost curb appeal. Mow, trim, weed and mulch. Paint or repair your fence, letterbox, and front door. Re-stain your deck. Tidy outdoor entertainment areas.
- Freshen up indoors. Repaint in neutral colours. Update light fittings, door handles, cupboard knobs, and tapware. Declutter all spaces to make them seem spacious. Freshen up carpets and curtains.
4. How do I market my home successfully?
It’s time to alert buyers to your home sale. Luckily, the internet makes this job easy. Here’s a list of things you’ll need to do:
- Take brilliant pictures to grab a buyer’s attention.
- Invest in video or 3D virtual house tour to make it easier to sell during the pandemic.
- Order a professional signboard to engage passers-by.
- Write an engaging real estate ad. Check out our guidelines here.
- Use the internet to reach more buyers.
5. How do I manage open for inspections?
Open for inspections help you achieve a higher selling price because you’ll build rapport with potential buyers. But many find them challenging. They don’t have to be!
We’ve made things simpler by putting together some simple guides to help:
6. What should I do when I receive an inquiry?
Selling successfully means being available to potential buyers as much as possible. Give them multiple ways to contact you about your property – including via phone, SMS, web forms and emails.
You could consider getting a separate phone/ phone number just for your marketing collateral, so you know you need to pick up when the number rings. Your goal should be to answer all questions buyers may have and provide any information that may help them choose your property over someone else’s.
7. How do I negotiate to sell my home at the best price?
Good negotiation skills are crucial for getting the best sales price possible. Thankfully, you can learn how to be a skilled negotiator!
But how do you close the sale? The simple answer is to be clear about how low you’re willing to go, and don’t budge. For our complete guide to negotiating property like a pro, see:
8. What legal stuff do I need to worry about?
There are 4 basic legal steps you need to take to sell your property lawfully.
- Prepare a contract of sale (in ACT & NSW you’ll need to do this before you list your property). Get the buyer to sign it. It’s now a legally binding document.
- Meet any special conditions outlined in your contract until settlement day.
- Allow the buyer to inspect your home 2-3 days pre-settlement to make sure it’s still in the same condition as they signed the contract of sale.
- Meet the seller or their representative to sign and hand over all documents and monies.
Remember, every state has slightly different legal requirements for selling homes, so make sure you check your local laws for any extra steps you might need to take.
I’m ready to sell my home online now! Great! We can help!
At PropertyNow, we believe in empowering property owners to sell it themselves. Saving up to tens of thousands in agent commissions, we’ll give you the support and resources you need throughout the entire listing process. Plus, you’ll get access to our team of experts via phone call, SMS, or live chat.