Things to Know When Leasing Privately in VIC

Here’s how to protect yourself as a landlord in Victoria.

Before Approving a Tenant

  1. Do a thorough check on the tenant (you can arrange this through us).
  2. Phone/check all the tenant’s references – they will be asked to supply details of their current employer, current landlord, and personal references on our tenancy application.
  3. Physically sight or take copies of proof of identification, proof of income, proof of address, and proof of rental history (e.g. lease agreement, written reference, or tenant ledger).

Once you’re set to approve a Tenant

  1. Meet and sign a General Tenancy Agreement form (download it here). 
  2. Complete a property condition report within 7 days of the tenancy’s commencement. Keep one copy for yourself and supply two copies to the tenant. Where possible, it can help to minimise disagreements if you complete this with the tenant. You can download this report here
  3. Request a bond of 4 weeks rent from the tenant. When you receive it, give the tenant a receipt and have them sign a Bond Lodgement Form. This form will allow you to lodge the bond with the appropriate authority (RTBA).

During the Tenancy

  1. Conduct routine property inspections. We recommend not more than 4 times a year. Ensure you always give the tenant written notice (using this form) a minimum of 24 hours before you want to conduct the inspection. Keep in mind that you cannot inspect before 8am, or after 6pm (or on a public holiday).
  2. Make sure you keep all documentation of occurrences (e.g. copies of any letters/receipts you send to tenant, photos of any damage etc.), in case of future disputes.


We strongly recommend completing National Tenancy Database/TICA blacklist checks before approving any tenant (you can arrange this through PropertyNow). 

As well as checking tenancy blacklists, you should consider checking the ACCR criminal court attendance database here. You can also order full police background checks through PropertyNow, if you wish.

Most importantly, we recommend taking out Landlords Insurance – this covers you for theft, malicious damage, or loss of rent if the tenant stops paying.  There are many different providers so make sure to shop around. Here’s two to get you started:

We also strongly recommend reading the renting pages and factsheets available at Consumer Affairs Victoria’s website.

Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any other questions at all. We’re here to help!