Things to Know When Leasing Privately in WA

How to protect yourself as a WA landlord.

Before Approving a Tenant

  1. Do a thorough check on the tenant (you can arrange this through us).
  2. Phone/check all the tenant’s references – they will be asked to supply details of their current employer, current landlord, and personal references on our tenancy application.

Once you wish to approve a Tenant

  1. Meet and sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement form and supply your new tenant with a Form 1AC 
  2. Complete a Property Condition Report within 7 days of the tenancy’s start date. Keep one copy for yourself and supply two copies to the tenant. It helps avoid future disagreements if you complete this form with the tenant (download the form here). 
  3. Request a bond of 4 weeks rent. When received, make sure you give the tenant a receipt, and lodge the money with the Bond Administrator within 14 days using this form. To cover damage, if the tenant breaks the lease or stops paying rent, you can apply for release of monies to you.

During the Tenancy

  1. Conduct routine inspections of the property up to 4 times a year. Always give your tenant notice via this form.
  2. Make sure you document any occurrences, (e.g. copies of any letters/receipts you send to tenant, photos of any damage etc.), just in case there’s a dispute in future.

Other recommendations

We strongly recommend completing National Tenancy Database/TICA blacklist checks before approving any tenant (you can arrange this through PropertyNow). 

As well as checking tenancy blacklists, you should consider checking the ACCR criminal court attendance database here. You can also order full police background checks through PropertyNow, if you wish.

Most importantly, we recommend taking out Landlords Insurance – this covers you for theft, malicious damage, or loss of rent if the tenant stops paying.  There are many different providers so make sure to shop around. Here’s two to get you started:

We also strongly recommend reading the Lessor’s Guide created by the Department of Commerce. There’s also a range of Department created guides and videos for landlords you might find useful here.